to be little or half-understood
to have a smattering of knowledge
We must not have the attitude of sciolism toward learning, otherwise we will not learn anything.
to scratch the surface
- half-baked knowledge;the scantiness of knowledge;Scant knowledge
- Having half-baked knowledge is worse than knowing nothing at all.
- I have only a sketchy knowledge of geography.
- He has a smattering of knowledge about physics.
- It is dangerous that you have a smattering of superficial knowledge on a subject
- Griffiths is glib and has a lot of superficial information on a number of subjects
- He' s always laying down the law about gardening but he really doesn' t know much about it
- I know of many students who possess little knowledge of the cultural history of Britain and the United States.