edify; exert a gradual influence on
- Music is a furnace which can edify your temper.
- The Western perception of China changed drastically in the 19th century. They began to see its weaknesses and the less edifying aspects of its civilization, after they had entrenched themselves there through military coercion.
- To exert an impelling force; push vigorously.
- Poor health is a necessary result of over-exertion.
- The consumer will exert a measure of influence over the market economy.
- But that climb will be gradual.
- The muddy river cleared gradually.
- To gain entrance gradually or surreptitiously.