沪江

初中英语牛津(试用本)八年级下 Unit3

沪江英语 2011-04-07 08:00
本文支持点词翻译 Powered by 沪江小D

READING: A dangerous servant
危险的仆人

One evening, Daisy said, ‘I’m going to buy a packet of sweets .Does anyone want anything?’

一天晚上,黛西说:“我想去买包糖果,有没人想要些什么?”

Benny, Daisy’s brother, said, ‘Yes, Can you get me a packet of electricity, please?’

本尼,黛西的弟弟,说:“我要的,帮我带一包电,可以么?”

Daisy said, ‘Ok,’ and went out. Benny laughed, ‘Ha! Ha! I’ve tricked Daisy at last. She doesn’t even know what electricity is. She thinks that she can buy it in packets, like sweets! She’ll really look foolish.’

黛西说:“好的。”然后便出门了。本尼大笑:“哈哈,我终于耍了黛西一次了。她根本不知道什么是电。她以为他能像糖果一样成包购买,她一定会出洋相的。”

Mum said, ‘Do you know what electricity is?’

妈妈说:“你知道电是什么吗?”

Benny said, ‘Yes. Electricity flows through a wire. A meter measures the amount you use, and you get a bill for it monthly. It’s like water, in a way.’

本尼说:“当然。电通过电线传播。一般是用米来衡量你的用量而且每个月你都会收到一份账单。某种程度上来说,它跟水很相似。”

‘That’s not a bad explanation,’ said Dad, ‘although electricity is much more dangerous than water. Electricity is a good servant, but a dangerous one. You must always be careful with it. Can you tell me what it looks like?’

“这个解释还可以。”爸爸说,“但是电比水危险多了。电就好似一个优秀的仆人,但是同时又很危险。你必须对它保持警惕。你能告诉我电视什么样子的吗?”

Benny scratched his head.

本尼挠了挠脑袋。

Dad said, ‘Nobody’s ever seen electricity. It’s invisible. But we can change it into different forms of energy that we can see, hear or feel. Can you think of an example?’

爸爸说:“没人见过电。它是肉眼所看不到的。但是我们能够把它转化成各种我们能够看到、听到或者感觉到的形式。你能想出一个例子么?”

Benny said, ‘Light! The light in a light bulb.’

本尼说:“灯,电灯泡。”

Mum said, ‘That’s right. Do you know where electricity comes from?’

妈妈说:“对了。那你知道电来自哪里吗?”

Benny said, ‘Well, it comes into our flat through thin wires, and these are connected to thick wires that buried under the street.’

本尼说:“恩,它会通过细细的线传进我们的公寓,而这些细线是由埋在地下的粗线连接的。”

‘We call the thick wires cables,’ said Dad. ‘What are they connected to?’

“我们把那些粗的电线叫做电缆。”爸爸说,“它们连接到什么?”

‘A power station, ‘said Benny.

“发电站。”本尼说。

Daisy then came back. Benny asked politely, ‘May I have my packet of electricity, please?’There was a grin on his face.

黛西回来了。本尼很礼貌的问:“请问我能拿到我的那包电么?”他咧开嘴笑了。

‘Yes, you may,’ said Daisy. ‘Here it is. ’Benny said, ‘But these are batteries!’Daisy said, ‘That’s right.’

“当然”黛西说,“给你。”本尼说:“可是这只是电池!”黛西说:“对啊。”

‘But…but…,’ said Benny.

“但是……但是……”本尼支支吾吾。

‘Daisy’s right,’ said Dad. ‘They’re packets that contain electricity. The chemicals inside produce electricity. ’

“黛西做的不错,”爸爸说,“这里面也包含电量了。电池里的化学物质会制造电能。”

Daisy asked, ‘Didn’t you know that, Benny?’

黛西问,“你不知道,本尼?”

Mum said, ‘who’s looking foolish now, Benny?’

妈妈说:“本尼啊,现在是谁出了洋相?”

NOTES:

1 I'm going to bug a packet of sweets.我要去买一包/袋糖果。
a packet of是量词词组,意为“一包;一袋”。又如:a packet of crisps(一袋薯片)。 句中的sweet作名词,意为“糖果”;sweet也可作形容词,意为“甜的”。

2 I've tricked Daisy at last.我终于耍了黛西一回了。
句中的trick作动词,意为“戏弄”;trick还可作名词,意为“诡计;花招;骗局”。

3 She doesn't even know what electricity is.她甚至不知道电是什么。

4 She'll really look foolish.她一定会出洋相的。
句中的look为系动词,意为“显得”,后接形容词foolish作表语,说明主语的状态。又如: That book looks interesting.那本书好像很有趣。

5 You must always be careful with.1.你必须一直小心用电。
be careful with意为“小心对待;谨慎处理”,后常接名词或代词。又如:Please be careful with the glass.当心玻璃。

6 Can you tell me what it looks like?你可以告诉我它(电)是什么样子的吗?
look like意为“看似…一样”,look在此处是系动词,like为介词。 此外,look like常和what连用表示“看起来怎么样?”,如:
--What does your teacher look like? --He is tall and handsome.

7 ‘We call the thick wires cables.’ said Dad.“我们把那些粗的电线称为‘电缆’。”爸爸说道。
句中的cable作名词,意为“电缆”;在7B Unit 3曾学过cable car(缆车)。

展开剩余