- What unutterable pathos was in his voice!
- Her sadness and worry are difficult to get rid of.
- He cloaked his sorrow with gay (=lively) talk.
- Yesterday's joy will become today's sadness; yet today's sadness will grow into tomorrow's joy.
- There are times when it goes beyond the flippancy, the easy depression
- Pure and complete sorrow is as impossible as pure and complete joy. ——Lev Tolstory
- It was a night when sorrow may come to the brightest without causing any great sense of incongruity
- Again, the deathless grief that never slept leaped out of the shadows like a wolf, and fastened upon his shoulders
- The general colouring was uniform and sad.
- After joy comes sadness
- As the evening progressed, sadness turned to rage.
- He found himself in a sad pickle.
- Sadness and gladness succeed each other
- There is melancholy in the wind and sorrow in the grass
- Money Borrowed is soon sorrowed
- The remembrance of past sorrow is joyful
- Borrowing makes sorrowing.
- Time heals all sorrows.