一、Had better意为“最好”,后接不带to的不定式。如:
1.— We had better go now.
— Yes,we had (we'd better / we had better).
我们最好现在走------是的。
2.Hadn't we better stop now? (Had we better not stop now?)
难道我们现在最好的不是停止吗?
3.I think I'd better be going. (用于进行时态,表“最好立即”)
我认为我们最好立即走。
4.You had better have done that. (用于完成时态,表未完成动作)
你最好把那做完。
5.You had better cross out the last name.
你最好把最后一个名字划掉。
6.You had better see about rooms for us.
你最好替我们去问问有没有房间。
7.Before reading the book, you had better ask yourself if you have the time.
在读这本书之前,你最好问问自己是否有时间。
8.You had better have another think.
你最好再想一想。
9.We had better get under the lee of the hedge until the rain stops.
我们最好在树篱下躲一躲等雨停。
10.Even a worm will turn. You had better give her a way out.
弱者被逼太甚,也会进行抗争,你最好还是给她一条出路。
注:①had best与had better同意,但较少用。②You had better … 用于同辈或小辈,对长辈不可用。
二、Would rather意为“宁愿”,表选择,后接不带to的不定式。如:
1.I'd rather not say anything.
我最好什么都不说。
2.Would you rather work on a farm?
你愿意在农场工作吗?
3.— Wouldn't you rather stay here?
— No,I would not. I'd rather go there.
难道你不愿意呆在这里吗?是的,我不愿意,我宁愿去那里。
由于would rather表选择,因而后可接than。如:
1.I would rather work on a farm than in a factory.
2.I would rather watch TV than go to see the film.
3.I would rather lose a dozen cherry trees than that you should tell me one lie.
4.I'd rather you didn't talk about this to anyone. (句中的'd rather不是情态动词,would在此是表愿望的实义动词)
注:由于had better同ought to一样没有过去式,所以在直接引语变间接引语的过程中,也不再变化.