III. 1. rewarding 2. communicate 3. access 4. embarrassing 5. positive 6. commitment 7. virtual 8. benefits 9. minimum 10. opportunities
IV. 1. up 2. into 3. from 4. with 5. to 6. up 7. of 8. in 9. for 10.with
V. 1.G 2.B 3.E 4.I 5.H 6.K 7.M 8.O 9.F 10.C
1. Universities in the east are better equipped, while those in the west are relatively poor.
2. Allan Clark kept talking the price up, while Wilkinson kept knocking it down.
3. The husband spent all his money drinking, while his wife saved all hers for the family.
4. Some guests spoke pleasantly and behaved politely, while others wee insulting and impolite.
5. Outwardly Sara was friendly towards all those concerned, while inwardly she was angry.
1. Not only did Mr. Smith learn the Chinese language, but he also bridged the gap between his culture and ours.
2. Not only did we learn the technology through the online course, but we also learned to communicate with friends in English.
3. Not only did we lose all our money, but we also came close to losing our lives.
4. Not only do the workers want a pay increase, but they also want reduced working hours.
5. Not only is the house expensive, but it is also too far away from my company.
1. Not only can students choose when and where to learn for an online course, but they can also take time to think through answers before making a reply.
2. She is excited by the idea of online learning while be considers it meaningless and useless.
3. Communicating with native English speakers is a very rewarding experience from which we can learn a lot.
4. Today, more and more people have access to the Internet through which they look for the information they need.
5. He wants her to give up working and stay home to look after the children. She feels, however, that this is too much for her.
6. Now that we have finished the course, we shall start doing more revision work.
1. B 2.A 3.B 4.B 5.C 6,C 7.B 8.A 9.a 10.B 11.A 12.A 13.B 14.A 15.B
XII. I am proud to say that I succeeded in learning a foreign language. It was a real challenge and, needless to say, it took a lot of practice. I carried a small dictionary with me everywhere I went as well as a notebook in which I listed new words I came across. I also managed my time carefully so that I met the standards of the course and finished assignments on time. After years of persistence, I reaped the benefits of all my hard work.
1. 1.C 2.B 3.D 4. A 5. B
Comprehension of the Text
1.C 2.A 3.B 4.C 5.D 6.B 7.C 8.D
1. community 2. effective 3. unique 4. committed 5. reinforce 6. perspective 7. explicit 8. challenge 9. hindered 10. arose
1. for 2. with 3. on 4. on 5. on 6. of 7. in 8. up 9. of 10.In