1. Unfortunately, when I dropped in, Professor Smith _____, so we only had time for a few words.
A. has just left B. had just left C. just left D. was just leaving
2. “I m sorry, I shouldn t have been so rude to you.”
“You _______ your temper but that s OK. ”
A. have lost B. had lost C. did lose D. were losing
3.“You must have met him the other day.”
“Oh, no, I _______.”
A. hadn’t B. mustn’t C. haven’t D. didn’t
4.“Will you go to the park now?”
“Not until I _______ my physics exercises.”
A. will ﬁnish B. have ﬁnished
C. will have ﬁnished D. had ﬁnished
5. She ought to stop working; she has a headache because she _______ too long.
A. has been reading B. had read
C. is reading D. read
6.“Why do you look worried?”
“Fred left the company half an hour ago. His work _______ unﬁnished since.”
A. left B. was left C. has left D. has been left
7. You d better not phone the manager between 7 and 8 tomorrow evening; he _______ an important meeting then.
A. will have B. would have C. will be havingD. will have had
8. “I m sorry, but the boss isn t here yet. Shall I have him call you when he comes back?”
“No, I ll call him back. If I call again in half an hour, do you think he _______?”
A. had arrived B. has arrived C. will arrive D. will have arrived
9.“What did you think of Act I of the play last night?”
“I m sorry. The play _______ when I got there.”
A. had been started B. had been on for half an hour
C. was to start D. had begun for half an hour
10. I suppose when I come back in ten years’ time, all these old houses _______ down.
A. will have been pulled B. will have pulled
C. will be pulling D. will be pulled
11. It is reported that by the end of this month the output of cement in the factory _______ by about 10%.
A. will have risen B. has risen
C. will be rising D. has been rising
12. We _______ paying you a visit but the bad weather prevented us from doing so.
A. had thought of B. have thought of
C. were thinking of D. thought of
13. I should very much like to go to the party, but _______.
A. I will not be invited B. I was not invited
C. I have not been invited D. I am not invited
14. The match was cancelled because most of the members _______ a match without a standard court.
A. obj ected to having B. were obj ected to have
C. obj ected to have D. were obj ected to having
15. While people may refer to television for up to the minute news, it is unlikely that television _______ the newspaper completely.
A. replaced B. have replaced C. replace D. will replace
16. I decided to go to the library as soon as I _______.
A. ﬁnish what I did B. ﬁnished what I did
C. would ﬁnish what I was doing D. ﬁnished what I was doing
17. I _______ your last point — could you say it again?
A. didn t quite catch B. don t quite catc
C. hadn t quite catch D. can t quite catch
18. I feel sure I _______ her somewhere before.
A. was to meet B. have met C. had met D. would meet