1. If the earth suddenly _______ spinning, we would all ﬂy off it.
A. had stopped B. stopped C. has stopped D. would stop
2. It is highly desirable that a new president _______ for this college.
A. appointed B. be appointed C. is appointed D. has been appointed
3. It was proposed that the matter _______ discussed at the next meeting.
A. will be B. was C. is D. be
4. He didn t go to the party, but he does wish he _______ there.
A. had been B. has been C. would have been D. would be
5. It was essential that the application forms _______ back before the deadline.
A. must be sent B. would be sent C. be sent D. were sent
6. My cat would not have bitten the toy ﬁsh _______ it was made of rubber.
A. if she has known B. if she knew
C. she should have known D. had she known
7. That tree looked as if it _______ for a long time.
A. hasn t watered B. didn t water
C. hadn t been watered D. wasn t watered
8. It is necessary _______ the dictionary immediately.
A. that he will return B. that he returned
C. that he return D. that he has to return
9. You re talking to me as if I _______ an expert.
A. am B. was C. have been D. were
10. “Mary wants to see you today.”
“I would rather she _______ tomorrow than today.”
A. comes B. came C. should come D. will come
11. It s getting rather late. It s time we _______.
A. are going B. went C. go D. must go
12. It was unkind of you to say that ；you really _______ done so.
A. should not B. should not have C. need not D. must not
13. This experiment _______ last week.
A. should be done B. should have been done
C. should have done D. should do
14. If it had rained last night, the roads _______ wet now.
A. would have been B. were
C. must be D. would be
15. _______ you were coming today, I d have met you at the airport.
A. Have I known B. I have known C. Had I known D. I had known
16. If the sun _______ tomorrow, what would we do?
A. would not rise B. should not rise C. had not rise D. does not rise
17. Without your help, we _______ so much.
A. wouldn t have achieved B. will not achieve
C. didn t achieve D. don t achieve
18. Care must be taken in using this method lest overﬂow _______.
A. should occur B. occurs C. occurred D. will occur