1. There are as good fish in the sea __________ ever came out of it.
A. than B. like C. as D. so
【解析】答案选C。 There's as good fish in the sea as ever came out of it. 为英语谚语，其意为：海里的好鱼是取之不尽的。可理解为：纵然失去一个机会，不愁没有其他机会。
2. All the President’s Men __________one of the important books for historians who study the Watergate Scandal.
A. remain B. remains C. remained D. is remaining
【解析】答案选B。All the President’s Men 为书名，故用单数。
3. “You __________ borrow my notes provided you take care of them.” I told my friend.
A. could B. should C. must D. can
【解析】答案选D。 “provided (that) +从句”表示种假设条件，相当于if。根据情况可使用虚拟语气或是陈述语气，这里表示真实的条件句。can表示在此表示许可或同意。
4. If only the patient __________ a different treatment instead of using the antibodies he might still be alive now.
A. had received B. received C. should receive D. were receiving
【解析】答案选A。 if only 引导虚拟语气，与过去事实相反时 if only 谓语动词用had done;与现在事实相反谓语动词用did。(from )
5.Linda was __________ the experiment a month ago but she changed her mind at the last minute.
A. to start B. to have started C. to be starting D. to have been starting
【解析】答案选B。“was / were+不定式完成式”的意思是本想做某事(但实际上未做成)。
6. She __________ fifty or so when I first met her at the conference.
A. must be B. had been C. could be D. must have been
【解析】答案选D。must have done表示对过去情况的推测，其意为“一定……”。
7. It is not __________ much the language as the background that makes the book difficult to understand.
A. that B. as C. so D. very
【解析】答案选C。not so much ...as为惯用表达，其意为“与其说……不如说……”。
8.The committee has anticipated the problems that __________ in the road construction project.
A. arise B. will arise C. arose D. have arisen
【解析】答案选B。has anticipated 意为“预计到了”。will表将来，符合句意。(from )
9. The student said there were a few points in the essay he __________ impossible to comprehend.
A. had found B. finds C. has found D. would find
10.He would have finished his college education, but he __________to quit and find a job to support his family.
A. had had B. has C. had D. would have
【解析】答案选C。have to的过去式为had to。