
Section36 Illness
No one goes through life without getting ill.
没有人一生从不生病的。
We usually think of illness as a bad thing.
我们总认为生病是件坏事。
Sometimes, though, it is necessary to be ill, especially when we are young.
有时,生病是必须的,特别是小时候。
那是因为我们必须建立起抵御病毒和疾病的免疫力。
大多数孩子小的时候会出疹子,得腮腺炎。
Then the effect of these illnesses is not usually very bad.
这些病的后果并非不好。
If we get them when we are older, it can be much worse for us.
如果大一点的时候才得这些病,对我们更不好。
Throughout history, we have fought against diseases and illnesses and many will have been eradicated from most countries by the end of this century.
有史以来,我们已经同疾病做了许多斗争,许多疾病也将在本世纪末在许多国家完全被消除了。
But new ones seem to come along to challenge us, or perhaps these new ones were always there but we did not identify them.
但是似乎又有新的疾病袭来,向人们提出挑战。也许,这些新的疾病一直都存在,只是我们没有发现。
AIDS, Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, for example, we know is a modern disease.
以爱滋病为例,这是我们知道的一种新的疾病。
人们也许要花几十年,才能找到真正有效的对治之道。
令人鼓舞的是,现代科学已攻克了许多疾病。
What about the common cold?
那常见的感冒呢?
One of the oldest illnesses is still the most illusive to cure.
最古老的疾病仍然是最难医治的。