The Cake 下载(PDF, MP3)
音频试听请戳:
文档预览:

文章类型:童话
出版年份:1918年
出版地点:美国
阅读难度:★☆☆☆☆
作者:(美)劳拉·理查兹
The Cake ——by Laura Richards
蛋糕
A child quarrelled with his brother one day about a cake.
有一天,一个孩子因为一块蛋糕和他的弟弟争吵了起来。
“It is my cake!” said the child.
“这是我的蛋糕!”这个孩子说道。
“No, it is mine!” said his brother.
他的弟弟说:“不,这是我的!”
“You shall not have it!” said the child. “Give it to me this minute!”
“你别想得到它!快点给我!”
And he fell upon his brother and beat him.
哥哥边说边把弟弟扑倒在地,打了起来。
Just then came by an Angel who knew the child.
就在此时,走过来一位天使,她认识这个小孩。
“Who is this that you are beating?” asked the Angel.
“你这是在打谁呀?”天使问道。
“It is my brother,” said the child.
“他是我弟弟。”孩子说。
“No, but truly,” said the Angel, “who is it?”
“不对,跟我说实话,到底他是谁?”天使继续问道。
“It is my brother, I tell you!” said the child.
孩子回答道:“我跟你说过了,他是我的弟弟!”
“Oh no,” said the Angel, “that cannot be;
“哦不,”天使说,“他一定不是你的弟弟。
and it seems a pity for you to tell an untruth, because that makes spots on your soul. 说谎话可不是好孩子,因为这样会让你的灵魂蒙羞,我真替你感到可惜啊!
If it were your brother, you would not beat him.”
如果他真是你的弟弟,你一定不会打他的。”
“But he has my cake!” said the child.
“可是他拿了我的蛋糕!”孩子回答道。
“Oh,” said the Angel, “now I see my mistake.
“哦,”天使说,“这样看来是我错了。
You mean that the cake is your brother;
你的意思是蛋糕才是你的弟弟;
and that seems a pity, too,
那样的话似乎也很可惜。
for it does not look like a very good cake,—and, besides, it is all crumbled to pieces.” 因为这块蛋糕看起来好像没有那么好——而且现在全都碎了。”
重点单词:
1. untruth: n. 谎言
2. spot: n. 污点
3. besides: adv. 此外
4. crumble: v. 弄碎,破灭
作者简介:

劳拉·理查兹(英文名:Laura Elizabeth Howe Richards,1850年2月27日—1943年1月14日),出生于美国马萨诸塞州的波士顿。劳拉一生写了90多部作品,包括儿童文学、传记、诗歌等其他体裁。