And once again, without understanding why, I had a queer sense of sorrow. One question, however, occurred to me:
我不知为什么,又感到一阵莫名其妙的心酸。这时,我产生了一个问题:
"Then it was not by chance that on the morning when I first met you-- a week ago-- you were strolling along like that, all alone, a thousand miles from any inhabited region? You were on the your back to the place where you landed?"
“一星期以前,我认识你的那天早上,你单独一个人在这旷无人烟的地方走着;这么说,这并不是偶然的了?你是要回到你降落的地方去是吗!”
The little prince flushed again.
小王子的脸又红了。
And I added, with some hesitancy:
我犹豫不定地又说了一句:
"Perhaps it was because of the anniversary?"
“可能是因为周年纪念吧?…”
The little prince flushed once more. He never answered questions-- but when one flushes does that not mean "Yes"?
小王子脸又红了。他从来也不回答这些问题,但是,脸红,就等于说“是的”,是吧?
"Ah," I said to him, "I am a little frightened--"
“啊!”我对他说:“我有点怕…”
But he interrupted me.
但他却回答我说:
"Now you must work. You must return to your engine. I will be waiting for you here. Come back tomorrow evening..."
“你现在该工作了。你应该回到你的机器那里去。我在这里等你。你明天晚上再来..."
But I was not reassured. I remembered the fox. One runs the risk of weeping a little, if one lets himself be tamed...
但是,我放心不下。我想起了狐狸的话。如果被人驯服了,就可能会要哭的…