I took my rough drafts of drawings out of my pocket. The little prince looked them over, and laughed as he said:
我从口袋中拿出我的画稿。小王子瞅见了,笑着说:
"Your baobabs-- they look a little like cabbages."
“你画的猴面包树,有点象白菜…”
"Oh!"
“啊!”
I had been so proud of my baobabs!
我还为我画的猴面包树感到骄傲呢!
"Your fox-- his ears look a little like horns; and they are too long."
“你画的狐狸…它那双耳朵…有点象犄角…而且又太长了!”
And he laughed again.
这时,他又笑了。
"You are not fair, little prince," I said. "I don't know how to draw anything except boa constrictors from the outside and boa constrictors from the inside."
“小家伙,你太不公正了。我过去只会画开着肚皮和闭着肚皮的巨蟒。”
"Oh, that will be all right," he said, "children understand."
“啊!这就行了。”他说:“孩子们认得出来。”
So then I made a pencil sketch of a muzzle. And as I gave it to him my heart was torn.
我就用铅笔勾画了一个嘴套。当我把它递给小王子时,我心里很难受:
"You have plans that I do not know about," I said.
“你的打算,我一点也不知道…”
But he did not answer me. He said to me, instead:
但是,他不回答我,他对我说:
"You know-- my descent to the earth... Tomorrow will be its anniversary."
“你知道,我落在地球上…到明天就一周年了…”
Then, after a silence, he went on:
接着,沉默了一会儿,他又说道:
"I came down very near here."
“我就落在这附近…”
And he flushed.
此时,他的面颊绯红。