[ Chapter 21 ]
It was then that the fox appeared.
就在这当儿,跑来了一只狐狸。
"Good morning," said the fox.
“你好。”狐狸说。
"Good morning," the little prince responded politely, although when he turned around he saw nothing.
“你好。”小王子很有礼貌地回答道。他转过身来,但什么也没有看到。
"I am right here," the voice said, "under the apple tree."
“我在这儿,在苹果树下。”那声音说。
"Who are you?" asked the little prince, and added, "You are very pretty to look at."
“你是谁?”小王子说,“你很漂亮。”
"I am a fox," said the fox.“
“我是一只狐狸。”狐狸说。
Come and play with me," proposed the little prince. "I am so unhappy."
“来和我一起玩吧,”小王子建议道,“我很苦恼…”
"I cannot play with you," the fox said. "I am not tamed."
“我不能和你一起玩,”狐狸说,“我还没有被驯服呢。”
"Ah! Please excuse me," said the little prince.
“啊!真对不起。”小王子说。
But, after some thought, he added: "What does that mean-- 'tame'?"
思索了一会儿,他又说道: “什么叫‘驯服’呀?”
"You do not live here," said the fox. "What is it that you are looking for?"
“你不是此地人。”狐狸说,“你来寻找什么?”
"I am looking for men," said the little prince. "What does that mean-- 'tame'?"
“我来找人。”小王子说,“什么叫‘驯服’呢?”
"Men," said the fox. "They have guns, and they hunt. It is very disturbing. They also raise chickens. These are their only interests. Are you looking for chickens?"
“人,”狐狸说,“他们有枪,他们还打猎,这真碍事!他们唯一的可取之处就是他们也养鸡,你是来寻找鸡的吗?”
"No," said the little prince. "I am looking for friends. What does that mean-- 'tame'?"
“不,”小王子说,“我是来找朋友的。什么叫‘驯服’呢?”
"It is an act too often neglected," said the fox. It means to establish ties."
“这是已经早就被人遗忘了的事情,”狐狸说,“它的意思就是‘建立联系’。”
"'To establish ties'?"
“建立联系?”